Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Fun of Being Sick

Everyone knows that there are some really bad parts about being sick: the coughing, the sneezing, the head full of cotton, the aches and pains, the hot, no the cold, no the hot. However, it occurred to me as I was going through the latest version of the plague that was ripping through work or Punkin's school or church or wherever we picked up the bug that there are actually some things that I enjoy about being sick.


  • Staying home. Every so often, you just need a day away from the pressures of life. Away from homework, away from deadlines, and for some people, away from co-workers/classmates. Even if you really like them, sometimes you need a break. Even if that break means that you're laying on your couch in extreme pain. Which brings me to my next point.
  • Laying on the couch. I'm a simple man. My idea of a vacation means that I'm able to kick my feet up and read a book or just watch some TV. In fact, one of the ways that I'm able to forget about the fact that my body's immune system is in a revolt against the very body in which it is housed is to pretend that I'm on a mini vacation. Usually, I'm in some exotic location and made the mistake of drinking the water, which I use to explain the frequent trips to the bathroom.
  • Daytime TV. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of soaps or anything like that. Well, at least ever since I stopped watching them with my dad when I was in kindergarten. However, there is one daytime program that I love to watch whenever I'm at home on the couch and sick: The Price is Right. Sure, the hair is a bit more white than when I was a kid, the money is bigger, and we're no longer treated to the familiar voice of Rod Roddy, but it's still the same insanely thin microphone, the same big wheel, and the same admonition to have our pets spayed or neutered. There's something very comforting about that. It's like he truly cares.
  • Mid-weekday naps. Our weekend routine usually involves at least one of the two adults (well, one-and-a-half, since I'm not completely grown up yet) in our house being able to lay down and have a nap. However, there are many times throughout the week that I feel like I could really use a nap in the middle of the week. Being sick allows me to do just that, and Anne does a great job of chasing the kids away so I can sleep. Usually.
  • In pajamas past noon. I don't know why this one is important for me. Maybe it brings me back to when I was in school and I'd wake up early on Saturdays and watch cartoons for as long as I could. Then I'd finally get dressed sometime after lunch. Good times.


As you've probably been able to guess by now, most of my list (well, OK, all of my list) involves me being able to do what comes naturally to me: being completely lazy. This way, when I'm sick, I can be lazy and have absolutely zero guilt. One day off like that is worth a little bit of physical agony. Usually.

No comments: