Friday, June 04, 2010

The Potential for Regret

In my original statement on why I was going with and Android phone I talked about being fed up with waiting for the iPhone to be on Verizon along with Apple's overly-vigorous control of what is allowed to go on the platform.  I purposely and happily went with the Incredible and haven't regretted it.  At least, yet.  This upcoming Monday is Apple's World Wide Developer Conference.  It has traditionally been at these Conferences, specifically the keynote address, that Apple has announced the latest version of the iPhone.  There has been speculation for a long time that one of the announcements this year will be the inclusion of Verizon as a carrier for the iPhone.

This has started me wondering:  How much of my decision to go with the Incredible had to do with the stronger philosophical alignment that I have with the Android platform and how much was because it was already on my preferred carrier?  When the iPhone does come to Verizon (it seems fairly certain that it will, at least eventually) will I regret jumping in with Android?

If Monday comes with the announcement of the iPhone on Verizon, we'll find out how that makes me feel.  My thinking right now is that I'll still be fine with my decision.  I'm free to do with my phone what I want to do.  I'm free to develop software for the platform and not have to cross my fingers that Uncle Steve will approve the application.  However, I also admit that if Monday comes and goes without any official word of the iPhone coming to Verizon I will breath a bit of a sigh of relief because then I won't have to be confronted with the possibility of being disappointed.  I like not having to be confronted with my feelings.

Like the rest of the world, we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: