Friday, March 23, 2007

Awwwwww.......crud.

That was my first reaction upon hearing the news today that the University of Minnesota hired Tubby Smith to be its next men's basketball coach.

Being firmly planted in both of the Rick Majerus and Bobby Knight camps, this news was initially a disappointment to me. Smith is a big time "name" coach, to be sure, but his actually coaching acumen can be easily questioned.

Then I started thinking about it. Smith will be able to recruit. He is a household name, at least to college basketball fans. He has coached at a major program in Kentucky. I think I could talk myself into this.

Plus, I have instituted a three year moratorium on new head coaches before I really criticize them. I like them to show me what they can do before I blame them for the teams' problems. Except perhaps in the case of Brad Childress. I'm still deliberating on that one.

But anywho, short post, gut reaction, gut-check, new coach, go Gophers!

2 comments:

Jeff Kamp said...

"his actually coaching acumen can be easily questioned."

Umm...really? You mean a decade straight of getting to the tourney, never getting bounced in the first round and a national championship doesn't prove good coaching acumen? Dude. For being a Gophers fan, you have very high standards.

Anonymous said...

For some reason, I thought I had written "in-game coaching acumen."

This post was written as an initial reaction within 30 seconds of me reading the story.

The results certainly speak for themselves, so I am not criticizing this in any way, but as a guy who has watched a lot of college basketball over the last ten years, I've seen Tubby make his fair share of questionable strategic moves during the course of a game. That's what I meant.

There will be a much longer response to both of the Gophers' recent hires coming up shortly. I just wanted to post something cause I hadn't in a few weeks.