Thursday, June 21, 2007

List Dominated Society: Cartoon Theme Songs

Continuing with a theme from an earlier post, today we are going to explore what should be another controversial topic: Cartoon Theme Songs. The one caveat is that these cartoons are all pre-2000. I haven't had much time for cartoons since, much to my dismay.

I don't think that there's a person I know who has watched as much cartoons as I have. This is both a boast and a lament. It's also the product of two different things: (A) I've watched and incredibly ridiculous amount of television in my 27 years on Planet Earth, and (2) I don't know that many people. With these in mind, here are what I deem to be the best cartoon theme songs of my youth. Feel free to disagree...just know that you're wrong if you do. :o)

7. Captain Planet: This is both a dark horse candidate and the exception to the rule. While most theme songs are played during the opening credits, you have to wait to the ending credits to hear this remarkable song that starts off, "Captain Planet, he's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero." Excellent stuff.

6. Smurfs: Best use of La's...ever. The link is to the actual theme song. Make sure you take the time to watch the opening show sequence, which is the top related video.

5. Duck Tales: "Life is like a hurricane, here..in..duck..berg.." Come on, you're already singing along, aren't you?

4. Gummi Bears: I love this song. Seriously. It's just happy.

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Besides being a kickin' tune, it provides you with some solid background information on the main characters. We learn that Leonardo leads, Donatello does machines, Raphael is cool but rude, and Michaelangelo is a party dude. Good to know.

2. Animaniacs: This might be the funniest cartoon ever, after Wile E. Coyote & Roadrunner of course, and I still know all the lyrics to the opening theme.

2. The Simpsons: The Simpsons perfected the random ending theme & variations to their theme song, and this link is quite possibly the best of the intros.

1. Ren & Stimpy: The top two themes on this list don't have words, and sadly the top theme doesn't even have a link. I was unable to find an adequate video or sound clip to link to, but this song is totally awesome. If you don't know it, just trust me.

Honorable Mention: Tale Spin and DarkWing Duck were not included, as they were spin-offs of Duck Tales and I was trying to get a good variety of shows represented here. It's just not fair if the same people are over-populating a meaningless list like this. Pinky & the Brain was also omitted for the same reason as it was a spin-off of Animaniacs. I desperately tried to figure out how Thundercats would fit in, but it just doesn't. It turns out that all I really wanted to do was reference "thunder, Thunder, THUNDERCATS, Hoooooooooooooo!" And I just did.

No comments: