Thursday, September 28, 2006

Qotipot - September 28

For those of you unfamiliar with the title, a Qotipot is a Question of the Indeterminate Period of Time. On the old Pluckytown website, I used to run a Question of the Week. Well, that was wildly unpopular, and also sapped my creativity. But, from time to time, I still come up with these burning questions or conversation starters, and I just need to get them off my chest. So, I came up with the Question of the Inderterminate Period of Time, or Qotipot for short.

I got the idea for this question while watching the movie Poseidon a few weeks ago. It struck me as a movie that was exceedingly average. I wanted to wait for a bit, so that the impact of the movie could settle in, and I could be assured of my own opinion on the flick. Well, I'm now convinced that I am correct in my assessment. And while "exceedingly average" may sound like an oxymoron, I believe it is very apt. Let me explain...no...it is too long...let me sum up.

By exceedingly average, I mean that every aspect of this movie was precisely that...average. Not just many or most, but EVERY aspect.

The story line was average. Not gripping, not terrible. Just average.

The special effects were average. Not Lord of the Rings great, but not original Star Trek corny, either.

The acting was average.

The cast was average.

So, this brings us to the Qotipot:

What are some other things that you have encountered in life that could be labeled as exceedingly average?

There are bound to be some out there. Average musicians. Average songs. Average TV shows. Average sports franchises. Average people. Average cars.

There is nothing spectacular about these things, and there is nothing horrible.

That's your criteria. Now get to it.

1 comment:

Jeff Kamp said...

The first thing that springs to mind for me is the Gophers' football team. They always do just enough to make it to a mid-level bowl game and that's pretty much it.